Whether you are in a rural village or reside in a place which doesn’t have gas supply then you are left with only a few options for boilers namely oil boilers, LPG boilers or electric heaters. An oil boiler is a relatively economical solution compared to others. Though more than 80% of the UK households use gas boilers there are around 4 million homes who still use condensing oil boilers for their heating needs.
Oil boilers are highly efficient
Condensing oil boilers are made in such a way that it recaptures all the heat that might be lost in the flue during condensation. This is achieved with the presence of a stainless steel heat exchanger which recovers all the heat that might be lost. As the heat is constantly recovered oil boilers always have a better throughput and thus increased efficiency. If you are living in a remote area where gas supply is either unavailable or restricted then condensing oil boilers is the most efficient alternative.
Easy to maintain
Commissioning is required at the time of the condensing oil boiler installation which ensures highest efficiency and reliability. This increases the overall life of the oil boiler and requires lesser maintenance. It is still advised to carry out annual service on the oil boilers. Oil boilers can be both internal and external. You can place them either inside the house or outside too depending on the size of the home. External oil boilers are equally efficient.
Oil which was once an expensive commodity has consistently fallen down. The price of oil keeps fluctuating based on the international crude oil price determined by the OPEC. Fortunately, oil price has been kept lower in the last 3-4 years. This has helped in keeping the oil boiler monthly cost low.
Oil produces the most efficient energy when it is burned. Most of the modern oil boilers have a 90+ A rating with them. This helps in efficient oil consumption and hence reduces the cost of the energy. They are also cleaner as they release lesser amount of carbon emission compared to gas boilers.
- Oil prices fluctuate based on a number of things internationally. It might get expensive in the future.
- If war breaks out or there is a natural calamity supply of oil will be temporarily cut off.
- Most of the oil central heating systems are floor standing ones and it is not easy to find wall-mounted oil heating systems.
- Oil boiler requires oil tank which should be placed under the ground. If it is placed on the ground it won’t look good.
- You need to buy and store oil that is required for heating whereas there is no storage required for gas boilers as it is supplied via pipes.
Though oil boilers have some disadvantages it is still the most preferred choice of boilers in the rural UK where gas supply is not present.